Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Kids in the Word: Ruth



The Pelsers


So, I just found out that another blogger (and another Amanda) has started doing Kids in the Word Wednesdays. Great minds think alike, right? I'm excited to be able to connect with other moms in learning how to disciple our little ones.

Anyways, for those who are new to this blog, here's a little background. I started going through the Bible with my son Jonathan (32 mos.) in June. My goal is to cover major Old Testament and New Testament stories in a toddler-friendly format over the course of the year.


Well, although last week was a short week, we managed to cover the story of Ruth. This one didn't appeal to Jonathan as much as some of our previous lessons. I'm not sure if it was because the lesson got split up a bit because we were out of town or because it wasn't action-filled. We still learned a lot about God's faithfulness. Here's what we did:


Bible

We read the story through Jonathan's usual toddler Bible, which covered the story in two short devotionals.  We also read:



Choose!: The Story of Ruth

This is part of a series of easy readers which combine Bible stories with phonics instruction. The story of Ruth emphasizes the long "u" sound such as in Ruth, choose, groom, Hebrew. It's a great idea-- but it kind of falls short in this book. The book skips over details in the story, so overall I wouldn't recommend it.






Ruth: the Harvest Girl by Carine MacKenzie

This was a much more faithful retelling of the story of Ruth. It is part of the BibleTime series which we've recently discovered. Like other books in this series, it is very well written and has beautiful illustrations. These stories are a little longer- and we split the story into a couple days. While it covers the story of Ruth faithfully, it didn't capture Jonathan's attention. I'm not sure if it was because of the lack of action in the narrative of Ruth or the crazy week we had. It's still a very good book-- maybe he'll appreciate it more later (or maybe it will be more appealing to Grace).



Art 


We did a little Ruth craft. I cut out a basket out of brown cardstock and cut a slit in the basket. Then we glued the basket onto paper. I cut yellow pipe cleaners into various lengths for "grain" and we stuck the grain in the basket.






Movie



Veggie Tales: Duke and the Great Pie War

I always like tying in a Veggie Tales episode since Jonathan enjoys Bob & Larry so much. We watched this on the ride down to central Illinois. The main feature is Duke and the Great Pie War is a retelling of the story of Ruth and emphasizes the importance of familial love. It was a very fun movie we'd recommend!











Next up... David!

10 comments:

Shonda said...

That looks like fun!

Ticia said...

I like the basket craft, now off to check out the linky you linked to. A friend of mine used to run one for a while, but now she's moved to once a month.

Debbie said...

I love this idea of Kids in the Word! What a neat craft to go along with Ruth.

Amanda @ The Pelsers said...

Thanks for linking up. Love your ideas :)

MaryAnne said...

That craft is so cute! We love that Veggie Tales segment, too!

Jackie Higgins said...

I love the craft. I have to check out that linky. I'm always looking for good ways to help my kids learn those important biblical truths... although, you've always got great ideas right here ;)

Mandi said...

I would love it if you would link up some of your great ideas on my new Monstrously Creative link party! I'm featuring some great ideas this week, and yours could be next! Come join the party!
Mandi at BBM

Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas said...

how wonderful that you are going through the bible with your toddler! my girls love veggie tales!

Thanks for linking to the Sunday Showcase & sharing your creative fun! I hope to see you back this week - http://momto2poshlildivas.blogspot.com/search/label/Sunday%20Showcase

Bern

Lisa @ Our Country Road said...

I love the story of Ruth! I love your basket!

Chocohills said...

Click Visit My channel for More animation Videos

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...